The Coal Country Camera Club originally evolved from a group of 4WD enthusiasts. On their trips to remote and beautiful places, the group regularly took photos and from this evolved the basis for the Club.
During the late 1970’s early 1980’s the club became a recognised community camera club. Founding
members included Ross Brown, Ian Berryman (Roy’s son), and Frank Sady.
In the early 1990’s the Club met at the Latrobe Valley Scuba Diving Clubrooms in Morwell on the 4th
Tuesday of the month. Women in the club were almost non-existent!
Over the next few years the Club limped along with small numbers until the late 1990’s and early
2000’s when an influx of interested hobby photographers joined the club.
One of the features of the Latrobe Valley Camera Club is our commitment and participation in supporting local community groups and events. We are often approached to provide photographers for Community events and many of our photographers have appeared in local calendar collections, local photographic displays in community facilities and exhibitions.
From the early 2000’s, the club has continued to grow and develop with over 70 active members now a part of the club.
Some of the activities the club has participated in over the years include:
- Regular workshops to enhance and build members’ skills and knowledge.
- Regular field trips to local places eg, Lakes Entrance, Walhalla, High Country, Hotham, Inverloch, Dargo, Buchan Caves, Morwell River, TarraBulga Park, Phillip Island, Venus Bay, Kilcunda and many others.
- Trips to more distant locations: Mungo National Park, Tasmania, Grampians, Melbourne, Geelong etc
- Special entry and support with professional photographer at Werribee Zoo & Melbourne
- Attendance at VAPS Conventions
- Support to many local community events as event photographers (eg sporting and fundraising events), events and opportunities to promote the club, provision of local photographs for the Gippsland Radiotherapy Unit.
- Two Exhibition/Auctions to raise funds for Gippsland Cancer Care Centre, LGH
- Club exhibition at ARC, Yinnar.
- Monthly meetings and workshop events
- Guest speakers
- Hosting of 2019 VAPS Convention