Shepparton Camera Club
The Shepparton Camera Club was formed in August 1954 and meetings were held in the Mechanics Institute. In the post-war period, SLR cameras were becoming affordable for the average person and people were keen to learn how to take good photos. Allan Turner was the first club President and Len Dear, Pat Edwards and Gwen Davie were important figures during the 60’s & 70’s as was John Teague (still an active member) who served 20 years as President from 1980-2000. Excursions and workshops helped members learn how to make the most of slide film and print film and how to process in the darkroom in addition to commercial printing. The principles of colour, lighting and composition were practised and shared throughout the Goulburn North East region and with Melbourne Clubs. Some club highlights include hosting the 1959 VAPS Convention and APSCON in 2001 as well as first place in the Slides section of the 1991 VAPS Interclub. The club has held a number of exhibitions including the First National Exhibition in 1966, 25th Anniversary Exhibition 1979 and the 60th Anniversary Exhibition held in 2015. Current member Dennis Rickard also took out first place in the EDPI section at the 2018 convention.